COVID-19 Safety Message: Visit our practice with confidence – your safety is our top concern.
We’ve reopened in accordance with CDC, O.S.H.A., and State Dental Board guidelines to responsibly resume seeing our patients for regular dental appointments and treatment. We want to assure you of the measures we take to maintain a clean and safe environment so you can continue to receive needed dental care without fear or concern.
Posted on: November 22, 2015
Real Reasons and Remedies for Tooth Discoloration
Are you self-conscious about your smile because your teeth are dark and discolored? Uncover the source of your staining and get a brighter, better smile.
The Roots of Tooth Discoloration
A variety of factors can leave you with stained teeth. Some are within your control, while others happen naturally. Most dental darkness is caused by the following factors:
- Poor dental hygiene habits prevent people from removing the plaque and particles that can badly discolor teeth.
- Certain foods and beverages can leave teeth with severe stains, such as coffee, tea, red wine, cola, and darker fruits and vegetables.
- Tobacco is a leading cause of the discoloration of teeth, higher tooth decay, and oral cancer.
- Trauma to the face can cause dental damage that darkens a tooth.
- Age tends to naturally darken teeth since tooth enamel erodes over time, which exposes the tooth’s lower layer of darker dentin.
- Genetics can mean some people are more likely to suffer with discoloration of teeth.
- Some medications, antibiotics, and antihistamines have the unfortunate side effect of tooth discoloration.
Solutions for Stained Teeth
Fortunately, you don’t have to suffer in silence with darker teeth. There are many ways to deal with the discoloration of teeth. The most common options include:
- In-office professional tooth whitening
- Dental veneers
Ask your dentist which treatments are best for your personal needs and discover a brighter future.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Philadelphia, call Gentle Dental of Pennsylvania today at or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental of Pennsylvania offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Philadelphia. With 8 affiliated practices in the Philadelphia area, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of Pennsylvania, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of Pennsylvania.