ADA-Approved Tooth Brushing Tips
Good dental care starts at home. To keep your teeth and gums healthy for life, the American Dental Association (ADA) recommends brushing your teeth at least twice daily with a soft-bristled toothbrush. Choose a brush that fits the size and shape of your mouth, so you can reach all surface areas of your teeth easily. After using a brush for three or four months, replace it with a new one. A toothbrush with worn, frayed bristles won’t get your teeth clean. Be sure that your toothpaste is approved by the ADA.
How to Properly Brush Your Teeth
- Position your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle to your gums.
- Move your brush back and forth gently, using short tooth-wide or circular strokes.
- Brush all tooth surfaces, including the outer, inner, and chewing surfaces.
- Tilt your brush and make vertical strokes to clean the inside surfaces of your front teeth.
- To remove bacteria and keep your breath smelling fresh, brush the surface of your tongue.
Beyond Brushing: Your Dental Care Routine
Brushing is important, but it’s not enough to ensure optimal dental health. Dentists recommend that you include the following measures in your dental care routine.
- To remove plaque and bacteria your toothbrush can’t reach, clean between your teeth and under the gum line every day using dental floss or an interdental cleaner.
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet and limit snacks between meals.
- When possible, brush immediately after eating starchy or sugary snacks.
Dentists Are Happy to Help
If you haven’t had a dental exam in a while, find an affordable dentist in Philadelphia and schedule one. Dentists can identify any early problems before they become serious, and recommend products and procedures that can help you protect your smile. You should also schedule professional cleanings with your dental hygienist at least once a year.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Philadelphia, call Gentle Dental of Pennsylvania today at or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental of Pennsylvania offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Philadelphia. With 8 affiliated practices in the Philadelphia area, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of Pennsylvania, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of Pennsylvania.