Your dental health is important, and our patients’ safety is our top priority.
We want to assure you of the measures we take to maintain a clean and safe environment so you can continue to receive needed dental care without fear or concern. We are monitoring the COVID-19 situation and all CDC guidelines very closely.
8 Tips to Extinguish Bad Breath
If putrid odors have seemingly invaded your mouth and the space around you, it’s time to find an affordable dentist and get some help for your bad breath. It can be a tough problem to identify, especially considering that it’s tough to smell your own breath. If you suspect you are suffering from bad breath, talk to your dentist. Your dental care professional will be able to help you address the problem and identify the source of the issue. In some cases, bad breath can be an early sign of a serious medical condition, making seeking help from your family dentistry experts imperative to your health.
Family dentistry experts recommend these tips to help correct the problem:
1. Increase brushing and flossing frequency. Plaque and tartar build-up are one of the primary causes of bad breath. This build up of sticky bacteria can lead to foul odors in the mouth. If you have concerns about bad breath, consider brushing after each meal, rather than just twice a day.
2. Brush or scrape your tongue. The tongue can form a coating each night and sometimes throughout the day that can harbor malodorous bacteria. Getting rid of the bacteria is easy with diligence to brushing or scraping your tongue each time you brush your teeth.
3. Skip foods that lead to bad breath. Brushing your teeth can’t get rid of odors from foods like onions and garlic. Although these foods are good for your health, the pungent odors will make their way into your bloodstream and travel throughout your body, coming out through your pores and breath. If you want to prevent these odors, it is best to avoid these foods altogether. If you can’t be deprived of these flavor-enhancing foods, limit intake 24 to 48 hours before social events.
4. Stop using tobacco. Looking for reasons to stop smoking? How about the fact that it causes bad breath? Bad breath is a guaranteed side effect of smoking. Smoking damages gum tissue, stains teeth, and increases your risk of oral cancer.
5. Chew sugarless gum over mints. Sugary hard candies, like peppermints and restaurant mints, promote the bacterial growth in your mouth and actually contribute to bad breath. Opt for sugarless gum instead. This will promote the production of saliva and contains xylitol, both of which can reduce bacteria in the mouth that cause bad breath.
6. Care for your gums. Just like your teeth, your gums need care, too. If bacteria gather in open pockets in the gums or between the gums and teeth, bad breath can result. Gum disease is a serious condition and should be promptly addressed. See your dentist in Philadelphia if you suspect you are suffering from gum disease.
7. Treat dry mouth. Lack of saliva promotes bad breath. If your mouth is dry, hydrate. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water throughout the day. If your mouth is still unusually dry, talk to your dentist or doctor. Dry mouth is a side effect of certain medications.
8. When all else fails, see your doctor. Bad breath is often an early sign of medical conditions. If your bad breath persists, see a doctor for treatment.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Philadelphia, call Gentle Dental of Pennsylvania today at or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental of Pennsylvania offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Philadelphia. With 8 affiliated practices in the Philadelphia area, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of Pennsylvania, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of Pennsylvania.