Discover if Dental Sealants are the Decay Defense for You
Dental sealants are widely used by family dentistry experts as a preventative measure against cavities. This has made them very popular for both adults and children. See whether dental sealants are the right choice for your smile.
The Story on Sealants
Dental sealants are plastic coatings placed on the chewing surfaces of the bicuspids and molars to protect these teeth from decay. Food and plaque tend to collect in the deep grooves of these teeth. Regular dental care can only remove some of these particles, but the remainder can lead to cavities. Covering these areas with dental sealants provides a protective barrier against this decay. That’s why so many family dentistry experts recommend dental sealants for both children and adults. Plus, the protection of sealants costs much less than the treatment of fillings, which has made them a mainstay with any affordable dentist.
The Time for Treatment
Most people are surprised that the process of getting dental sealants is quick, comfortable, and painless. The entire process only requires one visit to an affordable dentist. The procedure involves the following simple steps:
- The teeth being treated are cleaned and prepared.
- The sealant material is applied to the chewing surfaces of these teeth.
- This material bonds directly into the enamel of the tooth’s grooves.
- The sealant is hardened with a special light.
- Once the sealant is set, your teeth are protected from decay.
The Decision of Decay Protection
Family dentistry experts consider dental sealants to be a safe and affordable option for children, teens, and adults. While sealants can prevent cavities for many, they aren’t ideal for everyone, so it’s important to know their pros and cons when deciding on this defense. Consider the following factors:
- Sealants provide cavity protection.
- It’s an easy and painless application.
- Sealants are strong for long-lasting decay protection.
- They are available for a low cost from most any affordable dentist.
- Sealants cannot be used on teeth with existing decay or fillings.
- Some studies have raised concerns over bisphenol-A (BPA), which is a chemical used in some sealants. But evidence has led the American Dental Association (ADA) to deny any basis for health concerns from BPA exposure. The ADA is a professional association of dentists committed to the public’s oral health and to research into the safety of dental materials. The ADA agrees with government agencies that the low level of BPA exposure that could result from dental sealants poses no known health threats, and that sealants are a safe dental treatment.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in , call Gentle Dental of Pennsylvania today at (215) 789-9675 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in . With 14 affiliated practices in the Greater Philadelphia area, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of Pennsylvania, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of Pennsylvania.