Cavity-Fighting Advice from Pediatric Dentists
Since most children have a full set of baby teeth, toddlerhood is the ideal time to instill great dental care habits. It’s important to take care of baby teeth; they hold space for your child’s permanent teeth. If baby teeth develop cavities, it’s more likely that permanent teeth will, too. Pediatric dentists recommend taking your child for an initial dental exam by the age of one. Kids dentists can identify and treat early decay before serious problems develop. Although the first visit can be unsettling due to the many unfamiliar sounds, smells, and people, careful preparation and an occasional bribe can make the process easier.
Finding Affordable Family Dentistry
Although you may be tempted to take your child to your own dentist, it’s usually not the best option. However, your dentist can help you find a kid-friendly provider in your area. Another way to find kids dentists is to ask friends, relatives, and other parents for recommendations. You may also contact the American Dental Association or the American Academy of Pediatric Dentists for assistance with finding affordable family dentistry options. When choosing a dentist for your child, look for a provider who allows you to remain in the exam room throughout the visit.
7 Great Oral Care Tips from Pediatric Dentists
- Don’t allow your child to sleep with a bottle of milk or juice. The constant exposure to sugars can erode teeth.
- Experts recommend cessation of pacifier use as soon as possible because it can affect the development of your child’s teeth and jaw.
- Avoid sweet and starchy snacks; these increase the risk of tooth decay.
- Have toddlers brush after eating breakfast and before going to bed.
- Help your child with brushing and flossing until he or she is about eight years old.
- Use a soft-bristled, kid-sized toothbrush, and replace it every three months.
- If your child cannot brush, instruct him or her to rinse with water to remove food particles and dilute sugars.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Philadelphia, call Gentle Dental of Pennsylvania today at (215) 789-9675 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Philadelphia. With 14 affiliated practices in the Greater Philadelphia area, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of Pennsylvania, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of Pennsylvania.